[jsr294-modularity-eg] Simple Module System Proposal

Alex Buckley Alex.Buckley at Sun.COM
Mon Nov 23 19:31:47 EST 2009

Hi Paul,

It is not really a topic for this list, but I fear there may be
confusion, so I will be crystal clear:

- Sun has indicated many times that a Java SE 7 JSR is sought.

- Which JSRs are incorporated in the Java SE 7 Spec will be a matter for
the Expert Group for the Java SE 7 JSR. Obviously I hope JSR 294 will be
included.

- JDK7 will be the Reference Implementation of the Java SE 7 Spec.

- In addition to implementing JSRs, JDK7 will also have
implementation-specific features, such as a) the classpath (never part
of any JSR) and b) the Jigsaw module system.

- JDK modularization uses the Jigsaw module system. Module visibility is
controlled by a prototypical module-info.java file; that may change.
Module-private accessibility is actually not used in the modularization,
partly to assist with bootstrapping.

- Further discussion of any aspect of Jigsaw belongs on the Jigsaw list.

Alex