[jsr294-modularity-eg] Changes to the superpackage model

Alex Buckley Alex.Buckley at Sun.COM
Thu Apr 3 18:10:50 EDT 2008

Hi Eugene,

Eugene Vigdorchik wrote:
> Hello,
> I really like the new proposal better. To make for a seamless adoption, I think the following should be taken into consideration:
> - 'module' should be made a restricted keyword outside of class declaration. This should not be a problem since module membership
> will be defined per compilation unit.

'module' is a restricted keyword everywhere in a compilation unit. You
want 'module M;' outside a class declaration AND 'module String s;'
inside a class declaration to work.

In fact, this code has to be possible:

module module;
module class module {
   module module module = new module();
}

The realization that an identifier is a restricted keyword will have to
be done in different ways outside and inside a class declaration.
Outside, the first "module" term parsed means the start of a module
declaration. Inside, for member declarations, the rule is: if "module"
appears before the last two identifiers in the member declaration, it is
a modifier; otherwise it is an identifier.

static module f;
   // Modifier Identifer Identifier -> Modifier Type Identifier
module int f;
   // "module" Identifier Identifier -> Modifier Type Identifier
module module f;
   // "module" Identifier Identifier -> Modifier Type Identifier

> - module declaration _should_ be made optional, i.e. it would only be needed when there are explicit refererences to module-private
> declarations. I don't like the idea of carrying module declarations over from IDE projects the user has set up for all the
> compilation units. One could of course have an intention action (suggestion from the IDE) to restrict certain class to current IDE
> project only, but definitely not for all files.

If a type is itself not module-private in any way, and does not use any
module-private types or members, then there is no need for the type (or
the compilation unit it is in) to be a module member.

Whether you map an IDE project to a language module is up to you ... it
sounds like you want a project to contain many compilation units, some
of which declare module membership and some of which may not. Yes?

Alex